Brown Rice Salad with Tomatoes and Peas
¾ cup brown rice
2 cups fresh or thawed frozen peas
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
¼ cup olive oil, or to taste
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar, or to taste
¼ cup crumbled ricotta salata, feta, or other salty cheese
1 cup chopped fresh basil
1. Put the rice and a pinch of salt in a small saucepan with water to cover by about 1 inch.
Bring to a boil, then lower the heat so the mixture bubbles gently.
Cover and cook for 30 to 40 minutes, checking occasionally to make sure the water is not evaporating too quickly
(add a little more liquid if necessary).
2. When the liquid has been absorbed, taste and see if the rice is tender, or nearly so.
If not, add about ½ cup water and continue to cook, covered.
3. When the rice is tender, turn off the heat, stir in the peas with a fork, and let the mixture sit, covered, for 15 or 20 minutes,
during which time it will become a bit drier and cool off a bit.
4. Put the rice and peas, garlic, red onion, and tomatoes in a large bowl.
Add the oil and vinegar and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Use 2 big forks to combine, fluffing the rice and tossing gently to separate the grains.
5. Stir in the cheese and basil. Taste and adjust the seasoning; moisten with a little more oil and vinegar if necessary.
Serve at room temperature .