16-18 large cabbage leaves
1/2 cup uncooked white long-grain rice
8 oz. ground pork
1 medium onion, chopped finely
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh dill
1 clove(s) garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground allspice
4 cloves garlic, quartered
2 medium tomatoes, chopped coarsely
2 14 oz. cans crushed tomatoes
1/4 cup lemon juice
1. Discard thick stems from 12 cabbage leaves; reserve remaining leaves.
Boil trimmed leaves until just pliable; drain. Rinse under cold water; drain.
Pat dry with paper towels.
2. In a medium mixing bowl combine rice, pork, onion, dill, crushed garlic,
paste, and spices.
3. Place one trimmed leaf, vein-side up, on board; cut leaf in half lengthways.
Place a level tablespoon of the pork mixture at stem end of each half; roll each
half firmly to enclose filling. Repeat with remaining trimmed leaves..
4. Place reserved leaves in base of wide saucepan. Place only enough rolls,
seam-side down, in single layer, to completely cover leaves in base of saucepan.
Top with quartered garlic, chopped fresh tomato then remaining rolls.
5. Pour undrained tomatoes and juice over cabbage rolls; bring to a boil.
Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 1 hour. Uncover; simmer about 30 minutes
or until cabbage rolls are cooked through. Divide cabbage rolls and sauce
among serving plates.