1 9 inch single pie crust
2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
2 Tbsp butter, melted
¾ cup white wine
1 tsp ground nutmeg
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups shredded coconut
6 egg whites
1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Line a 9-inch pie pan with crust and then crimp the edges. Line and partially bake the crust.
3. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, scald the milk by heating it
until bubbles appear around the edges and the milk begins to steam;
don’t let boil. Remove from the heat and set it aside to cool to room temperature.
4. In a medium bowl, combine 1 cup of the sugar and
the butter and stir with a whisk or a large spoon to mix them together well.
Add the wine, nutmeg, and vanilla, and stir well.
Add the coconut and the cooled milk, and stir gently to mix them in well.
5. In a large bowl, using a whisk or an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until they
become thick and airy and will hold stiff but still curly peaks.
Add the egg whites into the bowl of coconut filling, folding them into the mixture as delicately as possible,
so that the filling is light and puffed up. Quickly turn the coconut filling into the piecrust and spread
it out delicately to fill the crust and seal the edges.
6. Place the pie on the bottom rack of the oven and bake until the filling is puffed,
fairly firm, and delicately brown, about 30 minutes.
Place the pie on a cooling rack or a folded kitchen towel and let cool to room temperature.
Just before serving, sprinkle the remaining ½ cup sugar over the top of the pie.