Bourbon BBQ Meatballs
1 cup soft, fresh bread crumbs
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound ground beef
1 pound ground pork
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 stick salted butter
1 16-ounce bottle mild barbecue sauce
1/4 cup bourbon
1. In a large mixing bowl, stir the bread crumbs with the cream and egg.
Set aside for 10 minutes.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and cook the onion and garlic for 5 to 8 minutes
until softened and slightly browned. Set the skillet aside without washing.
3. Add the onions, beef, pork, salt, and pepper to the mixing bowl.
Mix well. Roll into about 48 meatballs about 1 1/4 inches in diameter.
4. In the same skillet, melt half the butter over medium-high heat.
Cook in batches, turning gently, 6 to 8 minutes, adding more butter as needed, until cooked through.
5. When all the meatballs are cooked, heat the barbecue sauce in the skillet,
scraping up the pan drippings. Stir in the bourbon.
Return all the meatballs to the pan and bring the sauce to bubbling,
tossing the meatballs to heat through before serving.