Spicy Seafood Gumbo
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup flour
2 cups chopped onions
8 ribs celery, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
8 cups chicken broth, canned or from base
2 large cans (28 ounces each) tomatoes, diced
2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen okra, sliced, thawed
1 pound crab claws
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon hot sauce
2 large dried bay leaves
1/2 cup fresh minced parsley
2 teaspoons dried leaf thyme
2 teaspoons dried leaf basil
2 teaspoons dried leaf oregano
1 teaspoon sage
1 teaspoon pepper
2 pounds shrimp, medium, unpeeled
1 quart oysters, undrained
1 pound crab meat
1 pound fish fillets, such as catfish or other firm white fish, cut in 1-inch pieces
hot cooked rice
1. Combine oil and flour in a heavy skillet; cook over
medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring constantly, until roux is dark.
Be very careful to keep the roux from scorching.
2. Stir in onion, celery, and garlic; cook 10 minutes, stirring often.
Transfer mixture to a Dutch oven or large kettle.
3. Add chicken broth, tomatoes, okra, crab claws, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce,
bay leaves, parsley, thyme, basil, oregano, sage, and pepper;
simmer 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
4. Peel and devein shrimp. Add shrimp, oysters, crab meat, and fish to the pot;
simmer 10 to 15 minutes.
Remove and discard bay leaves.
5. Serve gumbo over hot cooked rice.