Eggplant and Cheese Casserole
6 Tbsp olive oil, divided
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 cans (28 oz each) diced tomatoes
2 Tbsp tomato paste
2 tsp oregano
1/8 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
3 eggplants, sliced into circles
1 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1 pkg shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Heat 4 Tbsp of oil in a saucepan over low heat;
stir in the garlic and cook for 30-40 seconds.
2. Stir in the tomatoes with their juice, tomato paste, oregano and thyme.
Bring the mixture to a gentle boil; then remove the mixture from
the heat and stir in the salt and pepper; set aside.
3. Dab excess moisture from eggplant slices with paper towels,
then brush the both sides of the slices with the remaining oil.
4. Heat a large heavy skillet over medium heat and place eggplant slices
in skillet in batches for 3 minutes per side or until nicely browned.
Remove to rack and continue until all eggplant is browned.
5. In a 9x13 cooking dish, put enough tomato sauce mixture to cover bottom,
add a layer of the eggplant slices, add a layer of Parmesan cheese.
6. Repeat the layers until all the eggplant has been used ending
with a layer of tomato sauce mixture.
Cover top with all the mozzarella cheese.
7. Cook in preheated oven at 350 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes
or until hot and bubbly and top is browned.