Chocolate Hazelnut Pancakes
1/4 cup whole hazelnuts
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup whole milk
1 large egg
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1/4 cup Nutella
Butter for the griddle
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Spread out hazelnuts in one layer on a baking sheet and toast
for 10 to 15 minutes. Pour the nuts onto a clean towel. Gather the
towel around the nuts and rub gently to loosen the skins until they
fall off. Place the peeled hazelnuts in a blender and pulse for
30 seconds until coarsely ground. Set aside.
3. In a medium mixing bowl, mix together the flour, sugar,
baking powder, and salt.
4. In a small mixing bowl, add milk, egg, melted butter, and Nutella
and beat for 1 to 3 minutes until the Nutella is thoroughly incorporated.
5. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just
combined. Gently fold in 1/4 cup of ground hazelnuts.
Reserve the rest for the topping.
6. Preheat your griddle on medium heat and brush with 1 1/2 teaspoons
of butter. Using about 1/4-cup of batter per pancake, scoop the batter
onto the warm griddle.
7. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes until small bubbles form on the surface
of the pancakes, and then flip. Cook till golden brown.