1 Lb ground round
1 Lb seasoned country sausage
10-12 slices bacon
1 (16-ounce) can garbanzo beans
1 (16-ounce) can pinto beans
1 (16-ounce) can kidney beans
6 cups chopped ripe tomatoes
1 large onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 hot chile pepper, seeded and minced
1 cup red wine
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
2-3 teaspoons chili powder or more to taste
2 teaspoons dry mustard
2 teaspoons celery seeds
salt and ground black pepper to taste
1. In a stovetop Dutch oven brown the bacon. Drain and set aside.
2. Brown the beef in the bacon drippings. Drain and set aside. Cut
the sausage into wheels, brown, drain, and set aside. Pour off most
of the drippings left in the pot, leaving about 1 tablespoon.
3. Sauté the onion, bell pepper, chile pepper, and garlic for 3 or 4
minutes, stirring as you go with a wooden spoon. Add the chili powder
and other spices. Stir in the wine and Worcestershire sauce. Add
the tomatoes and simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Add the beef, sausage, and crumbled bacon. Bring to a boil,
reduce the heat to very low, cover, and simmer for at least 30 minutes.
5. Stir in the beans, along with the liquid from the cans, and bring to
a new boil. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for an hour, stirring
from time to time and adding a little water if needed. Serve hot.