Maple Pecan Cheesecake
2 cups Finely ground gingersnaps
3/4 Stick, (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted
2 lb Cream cheese, softened
1 cup Firmly packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup Maple syrup
3 large Eggs, separated
1/2 cup Sour cream
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Vanilla
3/4 tsp Maple extract
1 cup Pecans, toasted lightly and chopped fine
1. In a bowl stir together the gingersnap crumbs and the butter
until the mixture is combined well and press the mixture onto the
bottom and halfway up the side of a 9-inch springform pan.
1. In a large bowl with an electric mixer cream together the
cream cheese and the brown sugar until the mixture is light and
fluffy and beat in the maple syrup.
2. Add the egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition,
and beat in the sour cream, the salt, the vanilla, the maple extract,
and the pecans.
3. In a bowl with the electric mixer, beaters cleaned, beat the egg
whites with a pinch of salt until they just hold stiff peaks, whisk about
one fourth of them onto the cream cheese mixture, and fold in the
remaining whites gently but thoroughly.
4. Pour the filling into the prepared crust and bake the cheesecake
in the middle of a preheated 350°F. oven for 1 hour. Turn off the oven,
let the cheesecake cool completely in the oven with the door ajar, and
chill it, covered, overnight.