Lemon Chicken and Rice Soup
3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
4 medium carrots, peeled
2 small yellow onions, halved and peeled
2 bay leaves
1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 whole large eggs
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
1. Place the chicken, carrots, onions, and bay leaves in a
4-6-Qt. slow cooker; sprinkle the rice on top. Pour in the broth,
making sure the grains of rice are fully submerged.
2. Cover and cook on high for 3 hours or on low for 6 hours,
or until the rice is tender. Discard the onions, carrots, and bay leaves.
3. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board; cool for 5 minutes.
Keep the slow cooker covered and on low.
4. Whisk the eggs, lemon juice, and cornstarch in a big bowl
until frothy. Whisk at least a third of the hot soup into this egg
mixture until smooth.
5. Whisk this egg-and-lemon mixture back into the remaining
soup in the slow cooker. Chop the chicken and stir it in with the
parsley. Cover and cook on high for 15-20 minutes or until hot.