New Orleans Seafood Gumbo
1 cup Chopped onions
1 cup Chopped celery
1 cup Chopped green bell pepper
2 Cloves garlic minced
1/4 cup Butter or margarine
1/4 cup Flour,all-purpose
1-3 dashs Tabasco sauce
5 Fresh Bay leaves
1 can Tomatoes,drained (16oz)
1 cup Tomato juice
5 cups Hot water
3 cups Shrimp,shelled/deveined
6 Small hard-shell crabs
24 Shucked oysters
1 lb Okra,chopped
3 cups Hot cooked rice
Chopped fresh parsley
Pepper to taste
Salt to taste
1. In large Dutch oven, gently saute onion, celery and
bell pepper in butter; add garlic and continue to saute for 5 minutes.
2. Remove from heat and slowly stir in flour.
3. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover the saucepan,
and simmer for 20 minutes
4. Add salt, pepper, Tabasco, bay leaves, tomatoes
and tomato juice; simmer for 15 minutes.
5. Add the hot water, shrimp, crabs, oysters, and
okra; cover and simmer 30 minutes.
6. Spoon a few tablespoons cooked rice in each of
six large soup bowls; ladle gumbo onto rice and garnish with parsley.