Bacon and Mushroom Meatloaf
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons salted butter
1 large sweet onion, diced
salt and black pepper
3 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons dry white wine
1/2 cup whole milk
2 cups bread crumbs
1 pound ground beef chuck
1 pound ground pork
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 large eggs
1/2 cup shelled salted pistachios
12 slices bacon
2-3 tablespoons (packed) light brown sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil,
butter, and onion, season with 1/2 teaspoon each of salt
and black pepper, and cook until the onion is soft and light
brown, about 10-12 minutes.
3. Add the mushrooms and garlic to the skillet and sauté
until the mushroom juice exudes and then evaporates, about
4-5 minutes. Add the white wine and simmer for 1 minute to
reduce slightly. Pour the mushroom mixture onto a plate to
4. In a mixing bowl, add the milk to the bread crumbs and
fluff with a fork.
5. In a large mixing bowl, combine the beef, pork, nutmeg,
allspice, thyme, Worcestershire sauce, eggs, pistachios,
mushroom mixture, bread crumbs including any milk left,
1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Mix thoroughly
with your hands.
6. Transfer the mixture into a 9 × 13-inch baking dish,
in the center of the pan form it into a log about 6 inches wide
and 12 inches long. Lay the bacon slices across the meat loaf,
slightly overlapping. Rub the bacon with the brown sugar.
7. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes.