Italian Meatballs with Tomato Sauce
4 oz white bread (crust discarded), turn into small bits
1/2 cup milk
3/4 lb ground beef
1/4 lb ground pork
1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
1 large egg yolk
1 small garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon salt
ground black pepper
about 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil for frying
Ingredients: Tomato Sauce:
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 28 oz Italian peeled tomatoes
1 tablespoon minced fresh basil leaves
salt and ground black pepper
1. Combine the bread and milk in a small bowl, mashing
occasionally with a fork, until a smooth paste forms.
2. Mix all meatballs ingredients, beef, pork, egg, grated
Parmesan Cheeses or Parmigiano and Grana, parsley,
then include the bread and milk mixture with salt and
pepper in a medium bowl.
3. Lightly form 3 tablespoons of the mixture into a round
meatball, repeat with the remaining mixture to form approximately
4. Heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat in a frying pan.
Add one by one the meatballs in a single layer, and when the edge
of the meatballs dipped in oil sizzles, turn several times until nicely
browned on all sides.
5. Transfer the browned meatballs to a paper towel and set aside.
Repeat with remaining meatballs.
Instructions: Tomato Sauce:
1. Discard the frying oil from the pan, leaving behind any browned
bits of meat. Add the extra-virgin olive oil along with the garlic, saute
just until the garlic is golden, then remove it.
2. Add the crushed tomatoes, and simmer gently until the sauce thicken,
10 minutes. Add the minced basil leaves, add salt and pepper to taste.
3. Now Add the meatballs to the tomato sauce, and keep simmering
turning them occasionally until well cooked through, about 40 minutes.