Homemade Chicken Stock
2lb chicken backs, necks and wing tips
2 unpeeled Yellow onions chopped
2 celery stalks with leaves chopped
1 carrot chopped
1 leek chopped
4 oz dried shiitake or porcini mushrooms
6 fresh parsley sprigs
2 fresh thyme sprigs
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp whole peppercorns
1. Place chicken in crockpot
2. Add onions, celery, carrot, leek and mushrooms, parsley,
thyme, bay leaves and peppercorns.
3. Pour in 8 cups water. Cover and cook on low for 12 hours.
4. Discard chicken. Strain stock through cheesecloth-lined
sieve into large bowl, pressing vegetables to extract liquid.
5. Refrigerate until fat congeals on surface
6. Lift off fat and discard.
Refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month.