Pineapple Glazed Ham
1 (12 to 15 pound) Smoked Shank Portion Ham
1 cup Packed brown sugar
2 (20oz) cans Pineapple rings in heavy syrup
1 (4oz) jar Maraschino cherries
1/2 cup Whole cloves
4 Tablespoons Pineapple preserves
1 Tablespoon Cornstarch
2 Teaspoons Lemon juice
1 Tablespoon Prepared mustard
1. Place ham in a roasting pan on a roasting rack.
Score the ham from end to end with a diamond pattern
approximately 1/4 to 1/2 inch deep. Set aside.
2. Drain juice from pineapple rings into a medium
sauce pan. Drain juice from cherries into the pan and
add lemon juice, mustard and brown sugar. Stir and
cook over medium heat until mixture is bubbly. To thicken,
add cornstarch to 1/4 cup of water and stir to combine
then pour into glaze. Stir constantly until glaze is thicken
to desired consistency.
3. Place one whole clove in each diamond cut of ham rind.
4. Pour 3/4 of the glaze over the ham, making sure to
cover the outside of the ham.
5. Arrange pineapple rings around the ham and secure
using toothpick with a cherry in the middle of each
6. Gently tent the ham with aluminum foil for baking. Bake
for approximately 4 hours, basting frequently with juices.
For the last 30 minutes to hour of baking, uncover ham and
pour reserve glaze over ham and place back in the oven.
Ham is ready to be removed from the oven when its golden
in color and the internal temperature is 160 degrees F in
the thickest portion.
7. Allow ham to stand for 15 minutes before slicing and serving.