Southern Plum Cake
14-16 fresh dark purple plums
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
Vegetable shortening for preparing pan
1/2 of 18.25 ounce box yellow cake mix
1 large egg
1. Cut each plum in half and remove the seed. Put the halves
in a bowl, cover with granulated sugar, and let sit for 30 minutes
so the sugar dissolves.
2. Preheat the oven according to cake mix directions.
Grease 1 (9-inch) cake pan.
3. Mix the cake mix by hand with slightly less than half the water
required on the box and only one egg to make a thick batter.
Pour into the cake pan.
4. Drain plums from the dissolved sugar. Arrange the plums on
top of the cake batter and bake according to cake box
directions or until golden on top.
5. Cool and remove the cake from the pan. Sprinkle powdered
sugar on top. Cut in slices and serve.