German Potato Salad
2 1/2 pounds small red potatoes, scrubbed
8-10 slices thick-cut bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 tablespoons salted butter
1 bunch scallions, white and green parts, sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 to 5 tablespoons apple cider vinegar, to taste
2 teaspoons sugar
3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. In a saucepan and add enough water to cover the potatoes.
2. Salt the water, bring it to a soft boil over medium-high heat,
and cook until the potatoes test just tender with a fork, 15 to 20 minutes.
3. Heat a medium skillet over medium heat, add the bacon, and
cook, stirring often, until it crisps at the edges but still feels soft in
the middle, 10-12 minutes.
4. Remove bacon from the skillet, leaving at least 3 tablespoons
bacon fat in the skillet. Add the butter, scallions, and garlic to the
skillet, and sauté gently for 1 minute. Add the vinegar, 2 tablespoons
water, the sugar, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and the black pepper.
5. Drain the potatoes, and when cool enough to handle, cut them
into bite-size wedges, removing any clumps of skin but leaving most
of it on. Place the potatoes in a large bowl.
6. Pour the vinaigrette and the bacon over the warm potatoes,
and mix well with a rubber spatula.
7. Serve warm or at room temperature.