Sausage and Tomato Ragu with Pasta
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 pounds mild (or Hot) Italian sausage, cut into 2-inch lengths
2 medium onions, cut into 1/2 inch slices
2 celery ribs, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
2 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
4 cloves garlic finely chopped
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves
1 Pinch of ground allspice
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1/4 cup flour
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup dry red wine
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes (or use fresh tomatoes)
1 15 oz can tomato sauce
1 pound rigatoni pasta
1. Heat the oil in a large deep skillet over medium-high heat.
Brown the sausage on all sides. Transfer to a 5 or 6 quart slow cooker.
2. Add the onions, celery, and carrots to the oil remaining in
the skillet and saute until lightly browned 3 or 4 min. Add the
garlic, rosemary, all spice, salt, and pepper and cook another
35 to 45 seconds.
3. Add the flour and stir until incorporated. Add the wine and
bring to a boil. Add the broth, crushed tomatoes, and tomato
sauce and stir to incorporate, scrapping up any browned bits
from the bottom of the pan to blend them with the sauce.
4. Heat to simmering and pour over the sausages.
5. Cover the slow cooker and cook on low 8-10 hours
or 4-5 hours on high.
6. Cook the pasta for about 10 min. or till tender.
Serve with the ragu for a great meal.