Bacon, Onion and Cheese Cornbread
8 slices thin-sliced bacon
2 tablespoons bacon drippings
2 tablespoons course ground cornmeal
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 cup cheddar cheese
1/3 stick butter
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 cups buttermilk cornmeal
2 cups buttermilk
1. Render bacon and remove from pan, saving drippings.
2. In a 9-x-9-inch iron skillet, place the bacon drippings
and sprinkle in the course cornmeal. Cover the bottom of
skillet with the sliced onion. Cut the cooked bacon in small
pieces and put on top of the onions.
3. Put pan into 400 F oven and cook until hot through.
Remove and sprinkle cheese over the hot onions and bacon.
4. To the reserved bacon fat, add butter and chopped onion.
Cook until onions are clear. Let cool.
5. In separate bowl, stir together cornmeal and buttermilk.
Add the cooked chopped onions and mix thoroughly.
Pour over hot skillet ingredients
6. Return to 400 F oven and bake until golden brown, about 20-25 minutes.