Shiitake Mushrooms with Swiss Cheese Casserole
7 tablespoons butter
1 pound shiitake mushrooms, sliced
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Salt and Black Pepper
1/4 cup heavy cream
8 slices French bread, about 1 inch thick
1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat.
Add the mushrooms and sauté for 10 minutes, or until the
liquid has evaporated. Reduce the heat to medium-low
and stir in the nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste, and cream.
Cook until thickened.
3. Arrange the bread slices in a shallow 1 1/2-quart casserole dish.
Make a slight indentation in the center of each slice.
4. Spoon the mushroom mixture over the slices and sprinkle
with the cheese.
5. Bake, uncovered, for 10 minutes, or until the cheese
is melted. Garnish with the parsley.