Red Lentil Soup
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 large onions, cut into medium dice
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
7 cups vegetable broth
1 can (about 20 ounces) crushed tomatoes
2 cups dried red lentils, washed and rinsed
3 tablespoons fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
Juice of 1 lemon
Pinch of red pepper flakes
1. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium- high heat.
Add the onions and cook until tender, about 3-4 minutes.
2. Add the garlic, coriander, cumin, turmeric, paprika,
cinnamon, salt, and pepper and cook for another minute or two.
3. Add broth and tomatoes and heat to boiling. Pour into a
5- to 6-quart Crock pot.
4. Stir in the lentils, cover the cooker, and cook for 4 to 5 hours
on high, or 8 to 10 hours on low, until the lentils are tender.
5. Stir in the pepper flakes, lemon juice, parsley, and cilantro,
cover, and cook on high for 10 minutes.